- 70 extra pages in this new edition.
- Full colour maps and photos throughout.
- 5 new appendices.
- A full 26-page index at the back of the book to assist you locate every known place-name, mountain, lake and river in Inishowen.
- Full analysis of William McCrea’s beautiful “Map of County Donegal” begun in 1776.
- High resolution copies of scores of other rare 18th-century maps featuring Inishowen.
- Details and 10 reproductions from Petty’s “Down Survey” maps of 1656-8.
- Rare old maps, many in full colour, depicting Inishowen centuries ago presented as a sequence of 71 miniatures tracing, chronologically, the outline and most salient features of the peninsula from Ptolemy, through the troubled 1500s & 1600s, the dark 1700s, up to the present day.
Below the seas today, directly north of Inishowen, lies a hidden world of sub-oceanic hills and valleys and mountain ranges. It’s hard to imagine this, but Inishtrahull and The Garvan Isles were once the mountain peaks of 9000 years ago sweeping down to green valleys on either side of them! Detailed illustrations and easily-understood texts on this ancient land are included in the appendages to this edition.
Did you know also that Bonnie Prince Charlie once travelled through the Slievesnaght district in 1746, on his way to France and exile, and that his journey, describing the terrain and the people he met, was documented in a surviving letter?
New information has come to light regarding hitherto unknown places in Inishowen. Do you know, for instance, where Cú Beannáin, Idir-Bhaile and Bun Abhann are?
Have you ever come across Droim na gCrannach, Béal an Átha Deirg or Fál an tSeascainn? Can you identify this well-known townland in its original spelling: Ceathrú na Creige Coirr? Would you have guessed that the Young Estate in Culdaff Demesne was originally the home and castle of Mac Seaghain Ó Dochartaigh referred to in early documents and maps as Dún na gCrann? These are among the many new and fascinating additions to the lexicon of Inishowen nomenclature documented and explained in this new deluxe limited edition.